A few weeks ago in the height of one of our sunny spells, I took a trip down to St Johns Wood to see the newly renovated Panzer’s Deli, a delicious delicatessen and grocery store. It’s just had a million pound makeover, with a coffee bar, sushi bar and shelves of absolute treats.
The outside of Panzer’s Deli looking gorgeous in the sunshine
Stepping inside felt like I was entering somewhere special and as a foodie, I was overwhelmed to find so many items I hadn’t even seen more. From white asparagus, to round courgettes and pumpkin tomatoes, the colours literally burst off the shelves. The deli imports from 80 countries across the world, with an entire row dedicated to Italian goods for example and products you might find in the US or Scandinavia.
Iced almond milk latte and all the summer vibes in Panzer’s
I picked up an almond milk iced latte, before browsing the store, finding so many sumptuous products. The Deli’s pièce de résistance is the smoked salmon, of which they have an entire deli counter with all the different cuts. Not only that, but also whole counter of fresh salads, meats and sandwiches for the impending lunchtime rush.
Fresh smoked salmon counter
Lunchtime rush, a spread of fresh salads and sandwiches
And I haven’t even mentioned the cakes! Created by the chefs which work in-store, I tried delicious dairy and gluten free macarons with a jam filling and a sweet marshmallow rice crispy cake. Literally in heaven!
Gluten and dairy free macarons with a sticky jam filling – divine
After browsing the shelves, I was inspired to create a summer dish using some of the more unusual ingredients found in store.
A round courgette, which we use further down in the recipe!
Spot the white asparagus amongst the bright coloured fruit
This summer smoked salmon and lemon spaghetti is the most perfect supper for a hot evening, and the perfect stomach filler! You can buy all of the ingredients for this dish in Panzer’s Deli.
Serves 2. Gluten and dairy free.
The perfect summer dish, gluten and dairy free smoked salmon spaghetti dish.
1 red chilli
1 round courgette (or 1 normal courgette)
Bunch white asparagus (or normal asparagus)
120g smoked salmon
100g vegan feta cheese such as Violife, or feta cheese
250g gluten free or normal spaghetti
Salt and pepper to season
- Zest the whole lemon, peel the courgette into ribbons and de-seed the red chilli, slicing it up very small. Chop up the tops of the asparagus into bite size pieces. Cut the feta into small chunks, you will crumble this later.
- Put the spaghetti on to boil in a salted pan and cook per the packet instructions.
- Put a small frying pan on a medium heat and add a glug of oil. Once getting warm, add the chilli and half the lemon zest. Now add the asparagus and stir for 2 mins.
- Now add the courgette ribbons and mix together for 4 minutes. (Note: white asparagus much chunkier than normal asparagus, so if you are using green asparagus reduce the timings on here by about a minute)
- Drain your pasta and add a glug of olive oil, pepper and ¼ of the lemon zest. Mix together and then add the courgette, asparagus, lemon and chilli mixture.
- Now crumble the feta or vegan alternative into the pasta mix, it should melt quite quickly with the heat of the pasta whilst maintaining some chunks. Mix together.
- Serve on your plate and then top with your beautiful smoked salmon. Season again with black pepper and top with the rest of the lemon zest.
What I love about this dish is the freshness of the lemon zest. It just works gorgeously with the pasta, olive oil and smoked salmon.
Who fancies a bit of that!
Would love to know if you give this a try or what else you find if you visit Panzer’s Deli! See A Belly Full of Food a the top of the menu for more dinner recipes.