Quick, simple, delicious and easy on the stomach. Dark chocolate and berry porridge
This recipe is an absolute winter warmer and totally indulgent. I mean dark chocolate for breakfast? Errrr, hello!
Top secret ingredient is the source of the dark chocolate, making it totally delicious and rich.
So, how do you make this badboy you ask? Read below…
Serves 1. Dairy free, gluten free and vegan.
- 50g rice flakes
- 250ml of nut milk (I used almond, but hazelnut or cashew would be equally delicious)
- Handful of frozen berries
- Handful of Montezumas dark chocolate… or some other good quality dark chocolate
- Mixed chopped nuts
- Date syrup
- Place the rice flakes and the almond milk in a bowl and mix together.
- Pop your frozen berries in a small pan and heat on a medium heat. Add a little date syrup to sweeten and let the berries soften.
- Put in the Microwave for on full power for two minutes.
- Once the rice flake and milk porridge is done, take it out of the oven, give a quick stir and leave to stand for a minute. This is important as it thickens as it stands.
- Your fruit should be softening now and looking bubbly and warm. Take off the heat.
- Take your dark chocolate (in my case, secret ingredients, Montezumas dark chocolate buttons!), and pop them into the porridge. They will melt instantly with the heat of the porridge, giving you a lovely gooey mixture.
- Pop on the warm berries, sprinkle over the chopped nuts and squeeze over the date syrup. Bon appetit!
Dark chocolate buttons are my secret ingredient, but really you can use any good quality dark chocolate.
Since the reintroduction phase of food after the liquid diet, I’ve managed to remain on a fairly even keel with regards to what I can and cannot tolerate.
Delicious coupled with a chocolate shake!
Randomly and inexplicably, I recently discovered that oats are not my friend, which really messed up my morning porridge routine. I tried quinoa flakes instead and again, these weren’t easily tolerated. With a weird fear of these grains, I went on the hunt for an easy on the stomach alternative that would still fill my porridge void. Enter rice flakes! I haven’t come across many recipes which include these lovely morsels but they are so warming and simple.
This recipe brings together some delicious textures for your morning breakfast!
Ingredients (Serves 1)
For the porridge:
50g rice flakes
250ml of almond milk – or any other plant based milk
Date syrup (honey also works)
Simply put your rice flakes and milk in a bowl and mix together. Put in a microwave for 2 minutes, until mixture is piping hot. Now leave your porridge to stand for 2 minutes – you will notice the mixture starts to thicken. Leave until desired thickness is achieved and sprinkle cinnamon over the top. Arrange your sliced banana/nuts/raisins/seeds over the porridge and then squeeze over date syrup.