This recipe is 100% inspired by my recent holiday to the gorgeous Caribbean island Dominican Republic. We spent two whole weeks consuming all the food in sight – a lot of it Latin America themed food. One night at the resort, we had this amazing stir fried sweetcorn dish. They fried it up on a huge flat iron oven right in front of us, with loads of olive oil. It tasted amazing and I was determined to recreate it on returning to ye ol’ England.
So here is my vegan, vegetarian and gluten free Tex Mex rice bowl recipe. I’ve split it up into three tex mex layers – rich tomato kidney bean mexican rice, the paprika fried sweetcorn and topped with a big dollop of homemade guacamole. It can be whizzed up super quickly and makes a delicious on the go lunch the next day. The beauty of the layers is you can mix and match with other bits for other meals!
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
Serves 2. Gluten free, dairy free, vegan and vegetarian.
For the Rice
1 packet of microwave brown rice (you can get these for around 50p in a supermarket and I am queen of speed – but feel free to boil brown rice from scratch)
1 red onion
2 large garlic cloves
400g (1 can) red kidney beans
2 tbspn tomato puree
1 tspn dried oregano
1 tspn chilli flakes
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to season
Coriander to garnish
For the sweetcorn
150g sweetcorn (1 can)
1/2 sweet red pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
2 tspn of paprika
3 beef tomatoes
For the guacamole
Handful cherry tomatoes
Juice of 1 lime
Glug of olive oil
- Everything needs cooking at once with this recipe so do your chopping first! Chop your red onion, half the yellow pepper, half the sweet red pepper and the 3 beef tomatoes into small pieces. Slice up your garlic finely or crush with a garlic crusher.
- Get a large frying pan on a medium to high heat with a large glug of olive oil. Add the red onion and garlic when hot and stir until they start to soften.
- When soft, add two tablespoons of tomato paste, the chilli and the oregano. Mix together – it’ll start to look a bit like a paste. Add the can of kidney beans, with the water, and stir together. Bring the heat down to simmer.
- Get another smaller pan on a medium to high heat with some olive oil. Once hot, add the peppers, tomatoes and the can of sweetcorn. Mix together and then add 2 teaspoons of paprika. Keep on this heat, stirring regularly.
- Season your bean and tomato mix and you can add your packet rice. Turn the heat up a tad and stir in. If the mixture is thick, add a little water.
- Whilst your rice and sweetcorn mix are frying – it’s time to make your guacamole! Chop up an avocado until mushy and chop your cherry tomatoes into tiny pieces. Chop roughly together on a chopping board until combined and then add to a bowl. Squeeze in the juice of one lime, a teaspoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of black pepper and mix together. Put your guac to one side!
- Check your sweetcorn mix – you want it so the yellow sweetcorn pieces start to look a little charred, that’s where some of the smoky flavour is! If ready, take off the heat.
- Squeeze the juice of one lime into your rice mix, stir and take off the heat.
- Serve with the rice layer at the bottom, a generous layer of sweetcorn mix and then a massive dollop of guacamole! Sprinkle some chopped coriander on to garnish. Enjoy!