When I was a kid I used to absolutely love it when my Dad made us ‘eggy bread’ – AKA French Toast! (Although I actually only discovered that was it’s real name very recently!) So I took to the kitchen to find a gluten and dairy free alternative and came up with these cracking sweet and savoury options. Perfect for breakfast or brunch!
Savoury – French toast with Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes, Mushrooms & Spinach
Serves 1. Dairy free, gluten free and vegetarian.
- 2 (or 3 if you’re hungry) slices of gluten free bread
- 2 eggs
- Splash of almond milk (I like Rude Health)
- Black pepper
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Handful of spinach
- 8-10 Chestnut mushrooms, chopped in half
- Balsamic vinegar
- Coconut oil
1. Whisk together the two eggs and a splash of almond milk in a bowl, with a little bit of black pepper. Pour into a large shallow dish – big enough to put your bread in to soak! Add your bread and let the egg absorb to one side, below flipping over to soak the other side.
2. Whilst the bread is soaking up the gorgeous creamy egg mixture (the almond milk makes it creamy!), put two frying pans with coconut oil on a medium-high heat and let the oil melt into the pan.
3. As it melts, quickly chop up your mushrooms. Add these to one of the frying pans to sizzle away. In the other pan, gently put your egg soaked bread onto the frying pan and let fry for 1-2 minutes. In the other pan, add the cherry tomatoes whole and drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar. Let these sizzle together with the mushrooms! After 1-2 minutes, turn your bread and fry the other side. They should start to go golden and brown! Add a handful of spinach to the tomato and mushroom pan and let this gently wilt.
4. When your happy with the golden colour of the french toast, take off the heat and serve topped with the spinach, mushrooms and balsamic cherry tomatoes! You can even add another drizzle of balsamic vinegar here for good measure!
Sweet – French Toast with Warm Berries
Serves 1. Gluten free, dairy free and vegetarian.
- 2-3 slices gluten free bread
- 2 eggs
- Almond milk
- Coconut oil
- Frozen berries
- Maple syrup
- Coconut yogurt (Co yo, Rebel Kitchen and Coconut Collective all do gorge coconut yog!)
Follow steps 1 and 2 to get your french toast going!
Once your french toast is frying, put a bowl of frozen berries in the microwave for 3 minutes. This is basically my cheat to a quick berry compote!! Once your french toast is done, serve with a generous helping of maple syrup, warmed berries on the top and a big dollop of coconut yogurt. This is such a naughty sweet decadent breakfast!